– The Delta State softball team ended its 2017 season with a 9-1 loss to in-state and Gulf South Conference rival, Mississippi College on April 29. The Lady Choctaws used a pair of three-run hits in back-to-back innings to pull ahead and earn the three-game sweep.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Mississippi College 9 | Delta State 1
MC Softball Complex | Clinton, Miss.
Delta State (21-25, 14-19 GSC) | MC (31-18, 21-10 GSC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
STAT OF THE DAY
- The Lady Choctaws loaded the bases in the bottom of the first and took a 4-0 lead over Delta State off a three-RBI triple by Makenzie Nieto and sac fly by Carly Crawford.
- In the bottom of the second, Tylan Buckley smashed a three-run home run to right field, to extend MC's lead 7-0.
- In the bottom of the third, the Lady Choctaws plated two more runs to take a 9-0 lead. Crawford scored the eighth run of the game on an error. With bases loaded, Katherine Lee grounded into a double play, and Megan Everett scored MC's ninth run on the play.
- Kory Watterson doubled to lead off the top of the fifth and advanced to third when Gibson followed with an infield single. Kristen Mitchell reached first on a fielder's choice, scoring Watterson for Delta State's lone run of the game. With two outs, Olivia reached base on an infield single and Kara Lane Nowell advanced to second, but a groundout ended the game.
- Starting pitcher, Taylor Johnson suffered the loss. In 1.2 innings of work, she gave up seven runs, four earned, on six hits. Brittany Taylor entered the game in relief of Johnson in the bottom of the second. In 2.1 innings of work, Taylor gave up two runs on four hits.
- Jordan Holifield earned the win for the Lady Choctaws. In five innings, she gave up one run, earned, on seven hits.
- Watterson, Dick, Madison Zoeller, Gibson and Nowell combined for Delta State's seven hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- The Lady Choctaws had two three-run hits in back-to-back innings, which sealed the win.
- Prior to the start of today's game Delta State's six seniors were recognized.
- Senior Madison Zoeller collected her 13th multi-hit game of the season to finish second on the team in multi-hit games.
- Senior Taylor Tucker recorded her first career at bat.
- Senior Kristen Mitchell recorded her fifth RBI of the season.
- Senior Kory Watterson tallied her fourth double on the season.
- The Lady Statesmen finish the season ninth in Gulf South Conference standings—the first time in head coach Casey Bourgoyne-Charles' career that Delta State has not made post season play.
- The 10 hits the Lady Statesmen pitching staff sacrificed tie the third most Delta State has allowed all season.
- Despite being out-hit 10-7, the Lady Statesmen had the advantage with runners left on base with four left compared to three for MC.
- The last meeting between the two teams before the 2015 season was a 9-3 victory for DSU in 1996. Since then, Delta State holds a 6-4 advantage over the Lady Choctaws
- The Lady Choctaws earned their first series sweep since the two teams rekindled their rivalry in 2015.